A 2-piece luggage combo is often an ideal choice for the frequently flier. The larger of the two US Traveler Rio pieces is an upright whose dimensions allow its use as carry-on luggage.
The companion travel tote satisfies the requirements most airlines place on a carry on bag for personal items. Store the upright in the overhead bin, place the tote bag beneath your seat, and you’re ready to fasten the seat belt and enjoy your flight.
This 2-piece combo comes in four colors: green, mustard orange, purple, and Royal blue.
The sides and pockets of the attractive upright and tote are 100 percent polyester. Both the upright and the tote have full interior lining and interior mesh bags to hold smaller items. The upright has interior tie-down straps. The hardware components on the two items are made of metal, not plastic. The upright features a retractable, self-locking pull handle, wheels, and carrying handles on the top and one side. The tote has a Velcro insert to create a carry handle from the two carry loops as well as a detachable shoulder strap. The in line skate wheels on the upright have corner protectors.
The upright measures 21″ x 13.5″ x 8.5″ and expands to 10.5″. The travel tote measures 14″ x 10″ x 6″.
- A strap that comes with the set enables the tote bag to be carried on top of the upright, a handy feature when you are walking from the parking lot to the terminal or from the terminal entrance to the gate.
- The upright/tote combination weighs only 9 pounds.
- If the upright is not stuffed to capacity such that it is fully expanded, it will be allowed as a carry-on item on most airlines.
- By not having to check either item in, there is far less chance of one or the other incurring damage.
- The tote bag is ideal for carrying a tablet or a Kindle, together with personal items, travel documents and reading material
- The material on the exterior is easy to spot clean.
- The set is relatively inexpensive. Its durability makes it an excellent buy for the money.
- This luggage set might not have the capacity usually required when taking longer trips.
If you order one of these sets you may at first think both items are rather small. The pictures have a tendency to make both look larger, and the colors may have something to do with that. The dimensions are as stated however. The Rio set is designed for use as carry on luggage. The upright is within an inch of the usual maximum size for a carry-on piece. The one cautionary note would be that it would be best not to check either piece in at the airline counter as both are somewhat susceptible to scuffing and the pull handle is susceptible to being damaged. If used and treated with a certain amount of care, this set is a great bargain. You will have to look long and hard to find a combo that features this combination of durability, usefulness, and affordability.
If you’re looking for a 4-piece set, the New Yorker 4-Piece Expandable is a great buy.